Friday, August 21, 2015

Explanation of Counseling Program 2015-2016

We are off to a great start here at Paine Intermediate!  My name is Lauren Blake and I am the 4th and 5th grade school guidance counselor.  I am excited to be your child’s counselor and look forward to working with the students in various settings this year.  Below you will find a summary of my role at Paine Intermediate and how I will be working with your child.

Whole Group Guidance Lessons – Fourth and fifth grade classes will join me in the amphitheater monthly where they will participate in lessons on such topics as character traits, feelings and emotions, peer relationships, friendships, study habits, career awareness, communication skills, and decision making.  The lessons are engaging, interactive, and informative and are meant to help students become more successful in all areas of their daily life.

Small Peer Groups – Throughout the school year, I will be conducting small groups on a variety of topics such as dealing with anger, school success, behavior/self-control, divorce, grief, and self-esteem.  With parent permission, these groups meet weekly for 6-8 sessions.  During this time, students have discussions and participate in a variety of activities to develop the skills and strategies needed to help them become more successful personally, socially, and academically.  Groups offered vary as it depends on the needs of the students at Paine Intermediate.  Teachers and parents may recommend students for these small groups.  In addition, students can choose to participate in a Lunch Bunch when available.  During a Lunch Bunch, groups of students eat lunch with the counselor and talk about things relevant to their lives including broad topics such as friendship, homework, conflict resolution, concerns they have about school, etc. These groups are more informal and do not require parent permission.  

One-on-One Counseling Appointments – I am available throughout the school day to meet with students on a one-on-one basis and discuss any concerns they may have.  Students may schedule an appointment with me by completing an Appointment Request Form.  These forms can be obtained from their classroom teacher or from the basket outside my office.  Parents may also contact me and request that I meet with their student using the contact information provided below.



A peek into my office space!
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your 4th or 5th grader, please feel free to call me at 228-3387 or e-mail me at lauren.blake@trussvillecityschools.com.  I look forward to a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment